Thursday, September 4, 2014

THEY ARE HERE!

Fittingly enough, although an exclamation point shows strong feeling... - it gives no indication whether those strong feelings are pleasant or unpleasant. 
 
Which seems appropriate today - we have been experiencing some of both.
 
The Bad
The first things to arrive in Grenada came borne on wings, but please don't confuse these nasty little mosquitoes with anything angelic.  And if the carriers themselves aren't bad enough, the dengue fever or chickungunya fever is one of the more undesirable bugs I've experienced in my life.  Conrad and Daddy came down with it first, (last Thursday), then Nicki started on Friday, Shawn on Sunday, and now Mommy on Tuesday and Caleb on Wednesday.
 
It starts with a mild fever that gets increasingly higher and won't always respond to pain medications.  Generally its accompanied with excessive joint pain.  (for those of you who know my Dad Lapp - just remember how he walks around when he's demonstrating his age.  I think I had him beat - I walked like I was 107 years old and suffering from acute arthritis.)  If I hadn't heard about this part of it from other's experiences, I would've thought I had accidentally pulled my knee out of joint during the first night - it hurt that bad!
 
I'm left with a rash covering my body from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, which, fortunately for me, is no longer itchy - but still uncomfortable.
 
Anyway, Katrina High can tell you better about the medical aspects of this virus - and usually in a much more entertaining way, so if you want to hear more about this from a different perspective go to this blog -- http://www.grenadadventures.blogspot.com/ (Chris & Katrina are OBMM missionaries serving at the LaBorie mission)
 
Please pray for healing & grace in this... I think Caleb & I are just about through, Jen's still in the middle of the agony.  And please join us in praying that Morgan will not get this disease!
 
The Good
And on a happy note... on Wednesday...September 3'rd.... after 36 days of anticipation... (drum roll please) Our totes came!  Talk about Christmas in September! 
 
 
Even though we've been too sore to do much unpacking - it still is so much fun to have our own stuff again!  And Jen is blessed to not have to do wash everyday. 
 
The New
And we are so thankful to have the school teachers here!  School started this past week so this place has been buzzing with activity.  There are 47 students enrolled here in grades K-6. 
 

 The new view from our veranda.  The favorite break time game here is "Bite-Em".  (Also known as lightning, shoot-out, knock-out, etc.)  And yep, that's Caleb in line there, eagerly awaiting his turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment